hubcapcollector.com

The only site for threaded hubcap collectors!


Home :: Login
Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > User galleries > frank > Threaded Hubcap Photos and Information

Spyker

1905 18HP

Spa_CA_1_B.jpg Spa_CA_1_C.jpg Spyker.jpg Standard_Car.jpg Standard_PB_1_A.jpg
Rate this file (No vote yet)
File information
Filename:Spyker.jpg
Album name:frank / Threaded Hubcap Photos and Information
Keywords:missqld
Filesize:19 KiB
Date added:Aug 21, 2007
Dimensions:250 x 250 pixels
Displayed:127 times
URL:http://hubcapcollector.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=1435
Favorites:Add to Favorites

Comment 1 to 1 of 1
Page: 1

Frank   [Aug 21, 2007 at 03:48 PM]
Spyker was a Dutch car manufacturer, started in 1880 by coach builders Jacobus and Hendrik-Jan Spijker, but to be able to market the brand better in foreign countries, the 'ij' was changed in 1903 into 'y'. The were originally based in Hilversum but in 1898moved to Trompenburg, Amsterdam.
In 1898 Spyker manufactured the Golden Coach, still in use by the Dutch Queen today.
It was also in 1898 that they started building automobiles and in 1900 put their first models on display, two cylinder 3hp and 5hp similar to the Benz. Four cylinder models were introduced in 1903. In 1907 an 18hp model successfully competed in the Peking to Paris race. Hendrik-Jan Spijker died in 1907 when the ferry he was on when returning from England sank and this loss led to the bankruptcy of the original company. A group of investors bought the company and restarted production but Jacobus Spijker was no longer involved.
Later they also manufactured World War 1 airplanes and aircraft engines. In 1903 the Spyker 60 HP became the world's first ever four-wheel driven car and racer. The 60 HP was also the first ever automobile equipped with a six-cylinder engine and brakes for all four wheels. The 1905 cars featured a round radiator grille which became a feature of many of the pre war cars. In 1913 the company was having financial problems again and in 1915 was taken over by new owners and renamed to Nederlandsche Automobiel en Vliegtuigfabriek Trompenburg (Dutch Car and Aircraft company). Under the new owners the previous complex model range was simplified and a new car, the 13/30 C1 introduced but sales were disappointing

Comment 1 to 1 of 1
Page: 1