hubcapcollector.com

The only site for threaded hubcap collectors!


Home :: Login
Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > User galleries > frank > Threaded Hubcap Photos and Information

Auburn 1927

One of the most successful of the big American independents, Auburn rose from humble beginnings as a carriage manufacturer in Indiana to the producer of some of the most glamorous cars of the Roaring Twenties, including the famous Speedster.
In 1924, a young Errett Lobban Cord became the General Manager at Auburn and in short space of time had revitalised the company, installing the Lycoming straight-eight engine in existing six-cylinder frames to expand the range with the new 8-63 and 8-88 series in 1925. With stylish looks and two-tone paint schemes, the new Auburns were soon selling very well and in 1927 Cord took three Auburns broke the records for stock cars between 5 and 5,000 miles at Atlantic City Speedway. In 1927, the 8-88 was offered on two wheelbase lengths of 129 and 147-inches respectively, the latter sold only as a tourer or sedan with accommodation for seven passengers. A choice of disc or six-spoke pressed-steel wheels were available, while the 8-88 had four-wheel mechanical brakes and long semi-elliptic springs for a comfortable ride. The Lycoming 4HM straight-eight developed 68 horsepower at 3000 rpm and was capable of pushing the Auburn along at speeds in excess of 60 mph. On 1927 models, the engine was further refined with Nelson Bohnalite pistons, Duraluminium rods and had a five-bearing crankshaft. In total, Auburn sold 14,517 cars in 1927, resulting in a 57 per cent increase in profits over the previous year - an indication of the success the company was enjoying.

Laurin___Klement.jpg Lexington_NPPS_1_A.jpg Auburn_8.jpg Stutz_1928.jpg Dagmar_NPB_1_B.jpg
Rate this file (No vote yet)
File information
Filename:Auburn_8.jpg
Album name:frank / Threaded Hubcap Photos and Information
Filesize:21 KiB
Date added:Jan 30, 2008
Dimensions:375 x 250 pixels
Displayed:209 times
URL:http://hubcapcollector.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=1943
Favorites:Add to Favorites

Comment 1 to 1 of 1
Page: 1

frank   [Jan 30, 2008 at 12:54 PM]
As recently confirmed by the A.C.D. archivist, this particular 1927 Auburn 8-88 was built on the long 147-inch wheelbase as a 'T7' seven-seater tourer and as such, was one of just nineteen built that year - the last year this particular model was available. The Auburn was delivered new to Australia in 1927 and remained with the original owners for the next 46 years, although it was taken off the road in 1953. In 1973, the current Queensland-based owners bought the car and completed a major restoration in 1993, in time to attend the first Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg rally held in Echuca, Victoria. The car was driven from Brisbane to the rally and in the intervening years, has successfully completed trips to Clare and Goolwa in South Australia, Wollongong and Gulgong in New South Wales as well as various local rallies in Queensland. The Auburn has proven a very comfortable and reliable touring car that can easily be driven for up to eight hours a day. The restoration saw the vehicle completely dismantled and all bearings replaced with new items. The engine was rebuilt, as was the gearbox and diff, starter motor etc. while the original and rare seven-passenger coachwork has been carefully preserved (right down to the builder's plate). The upholstery was re-trimmed in the attractive Dusty Pink colour with maroon carpets and complements the exterior colours. The owners have no hesitation in driving the Auburn long distances, such is the reliability, and it always attracts plenty of attention when out and about - indeed, over the years it has accumulated a number of trophies and awards. A few modifications have been added to improve the useability of the car without detracting from the overall originality, including the addition of an electric water pump.

Comment 1 to 1 of 1
Page: 1